I found a motherboard. I got a used Asus X570 Tuf Gaming (without wifi) for $140. I also got a Radeon Pro WX 5100 video card, which I may or may not keep, because the 3400g has built in graphics. However, having ANY video card lets me upgrade to a faster Ryzen processor that doesn’t have graphics built in (only the Ryzen “G”series has onboard graphics).
Details aside, my REAPER rig is back, baby.
My Computer Specs
- Ryzen 3400G (4 core / 8 thread apu w/ vega graphics, so I can go videocard-less if I want until I upgrade)
- Asus X570 Tuf Motherboard (this board will handle a 5950x upgrade nicely)
- 64gb Ballistix DDR4 3200mhz CL16 memory (it’s fine)
- 2x 1tb NVME drives (ONLY pci-e 3.0 drives. the selling point of X570 is 4.0 bandwith, still super fast)
- EVGA 650w Gold g3 power supply (thinking radeon 6800 which is only 250w would work with this)
- Fractal Designs Meshify C Case (white – bought this 2 weeks before new version was announced – oops)
- 2x Dell Ultrasharp u2415 Monitors (bang for the buck $100 used monitors)
- AMD Radeon Pro wx 5100 GPU (might sell, but 4 display ports)
Anyway, I have an upgrade path to a 5950x and a Radeon 6800, if I can afford to do so. Even a 3900x would kickass.
I’m on day 5 now, and this computer is extremely solid running Manjaro.